Monday, June 9, 2014

Why I Love Geeks by T.A. Chase

10331603
Grade: C
Hotness Level: Inferno
Kink Level: No Kink
Genre: Contemporary, m/m, police, nerd
Series: Why I Love... #1
Published: 3/6/11
Reviewed by Anne
140 ebook pages

I'm a sucker for nerd books, and the blurb for this one really sucked me in!  You've got Chuck, a homicide detective and technophobe who meets Herb, a talkative and super-smart scientist.  There's instant attraction but not much in common - that's a recipe for a good story as far as I'm concerned!  

Because I love the nerd trope so much, I'm willing to suspend a lot of disbelief.  Unfortunately, this story just pushed too far for me.  The set up was really awesome and I really enjoyed about the first half of the book.  Then it just got to be too much.  Little inconsistencies pulled me out of the story.  In one interaction Herb doesn't know what a prostate is, but in the next he's thinking about how much better that felt than what he'd read.  Another time he's not sure what the lab normally looks like, and a few pages later he's musing that the lab is kept compulsively clean.  Neither of those things is huge, but it was this kind of thing that kept pulling me out of the story - even though I didn't want it to!  So, while in the beginning I could roll my eyes and accept what was being worked on in the lab, by the end I was just frustrated by the concept.

Herb is funny, and his verbal diarrhea made me smile.  Chuck was a character I loved, too.  A tough guy with a sweet side.  Chuck's family was awesome!  I really wish I could have liked this one more.

No comments:

Post a Comment