Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Dangerous Ground by Josh Lanyon

16150524
Grade: B
Hotness Level: Inferno
Kink Level: No Kink
Genre: Contemporary, m/m, mystery, suspense
Series: Dangerous Ground #1
Published: 4/22/2008
Reviewed by Anne
89 ebook pages

Taylor and Will are special agents for the Department of Diplomatic Security.  They've been together for three years.  They're great friends and are both out of the closet gay men, but not lovers.  That doesn't mean they don't have an attraction to each other, but they've never acted on it.  Still, things were thrown out of balance a few weeks ago when Taylor was shot.  He's almost ready to come back to work, but the strain between them is an issue.  They decide that a weekend camping together will give them time to work through things.  As if working around emotional shrapnel between the two of them isn't enough, they stumble across the remains of a plane used in a crime a few months ago.  Now there's a lot more on the line than just their friendship and work relationship.

I'm pretty picky when it comes to mysteries.  I really enjoy some authors, but find others to be way too intense for me, especially without the balance of a romance or HEA.  I do enjoy JD Robb, Julia Spencer-Fleming, and Josh Lanyon, though.  I've been slowly working my way through Lanyon's backlist.  That's what brought me to Dangerous Ground.  

Lanyon hasn't failed me yet, and this was no exception.  Will and Taylor are interesting and distinct characters.  I liked the way they were both caught off guard by their feelings for each other and it was interesting to watch how they handled them.  They have a banter and humor together that kept me smiling.  The suspense was realistic enough to keep me wondering how in the world they would work things out.

I'm glad I read it, and now I've got a new series to read!  That said, it didn't grab me and refuse to let go the way that the Adrien English series did.  Still, I look forward to the rest of Taylor and Will's stories.  How about you?  Do you read mysteries?  If so, do you have a favorite series?

No comments:

Post a Comment